Centerless Grinding Range
åtto Abrasives is a long-established manufacturer of abrasive wheels for centerless grinding applications. Our range includes;
- Centerless grinding Work Wheels: in rubber & cork specifications for Grinding & Polishing Applications
- Centerless grinding Regulating (Control) Wheels: to control the rotation of the workpiece
- Cored Centerless Work Wheels
Centerless Grinding is an OD (Outside Diameter) grinding process.
This process is unique in that the workpiece (component) is not mechanically held in position but rests on a support blade. The rotation of the component is controlled by the regulating wheel (control wheel). The larger work wheel (grinding or polishing wheel) rotating at a higher speed achieves the required stock removal and surface finish.
Centreless grinding process is ideally suited to applications requiring high production rates of cylindrical components. These include manufacturing, taper roller bearings, chrome bar, shafts, tubing, etc. Centreless grinding has evolved to include three different forms: thru-feed, in-feed and end-feed centreless grinding & polishing.
Centerless Grinding Forms
- Thru-feed, In thru-feed centerless OD grinding the workpiece passes between two wheels, a grinding wheel and a regulating wheel. Both wheels rotate in the same direction, but at much different speeds. The purpose of the grinding wheel is to remove material from the workpiece and improve part OD quality. The regulating wheel acts like a brake, controlling the rotational speed and thrufeed rate of the workpeice.
- In-Feed, In-feed centerless grinding is used to grind workpieces with relatively complex shapes, such as an hourglass shape. The workpiece is loaded manually into the grinding machine and the regulating wheel is moved into place.
- End-Feed, In end-feed centerless grinding, the workpiece is fed axially into the machine on one side and comes to rest against an end stop; the grinding operation is performed, and then the workpiece is fed in the opposite direction to exit the machine.
åtto Abrasives Centerless Grinding Range
When it comes to attaining the best roundness, dimensional tolerance and surface finish for barstock, centerless grinding is the clear choice among machine operators.
The centerless grinding process is ideally suited to applications requiring high production rates of cylindrical components, including the manufacture of taper roller bearings, chrome bar, shafts, tubing, etc.
Adaptations of the centreless process have evolved to include, thru- feed, in-feed and end-feed centreless grinding & polishing.
There is no need to clamp the workpiece. One workpiece is immediately followed by the next, this results in a significant reduction in set-up time.
åtto Abrasives Centerless Grinding Range:
Product Matching & Customization
Send in your requirements and let us assist you in finding the correct product for your application.
Rubber bonded Regulating Wheels
åtto abrasives Rubber Bonded Regulating Wheels are manufactured in a calendering process for optimum performance. They are available in various specifications to suit the material being worked and provide the required finish.
They are suitable for in-feed, end-feed and through-feed applications, and provide:
- Improved Gripping Power
- Longer Wheel Life
- Superior Performance
Regulating wheels play a huge role in centerless grinding. The regulating wheel regulates the speed of a part as it is rotated against a grinding wheel. This allows the regulating wheel to control the material removal rate, surface finish and geometry.
Full range of sizes & specifications available
Cork Centerless Grinding Wheels
åtto abrasives Cork centerless grinding Wheels uniquely combine the properties of natural cork particles and abrasive grits in a special matrix. They are used for the polishing and superfinishing of precision products including:
- Steering Rods
- Taper Roller Bearings
- Shock Absorbers
- Hydraulic cylinders
Rubber bonded Centerless Grinding Wheels
- Grit sizes 54 to 400
- Standard grades K to R
- Grit types A, WA, WAA, C & CA